Outcomes

Youth Programming Outcomes Evaluation 2009-2010

In 2010, CANY employed an independent evaluator to research an appropriate validated testing tool to measure changes in social and emotional learning (SEL) in trauma-affected youth after participation in the CANY drama therapy program.
The tools used were
• The Individual Protective Factors Index (IPFI): A Measure of Adolescent Resiliency (Springer, J., Phillips, J., 1997) , which employed a 6-item scale to measure Social Bonding; a 25 item scale to measure Personal Competence and an 18-item scale to measure Social Competence.
• A 7-item scale developed by CANY to measure Creativity.

The study consisted of three assessments using these tools:
• a baseline pre-participation assessment
• a 12-week Time 2 assessment
• a 9-month post participation assessment.

Study participants were youth from two residential treatment centers. Each assessment also included a control group of youth not participating in the CANY drama therapy program.

42 participants completed a pre-participation baseline assessment and a 12-week Time 2 assessment. 67% of the Time 2 sample comprised the Treatment Group (those young people who received the CANY intervention), while the remaining 33% made up the Control Group.

40 participants completed the Final 9 month Time 3 Assessment. 72% of the Time 3 respondents were from the Treatment Group, 28% were from the Control Group.

CONCLUSIONS
The scale “Social Competence” (18 items) yielded the strongest evidence of change. Using a paired-samples T-test analysis, Social Competence demonstrated a statistically significant main effect for those members of the Treatment Group who attended 9 or more CANY sessions (p-value, .055).

The scale “Creativity” (7 items) also indicated strong programmatic impact. Using a paired-samples T-test analysis, the main effect for members of the Treatment group who attended at least 9 CANY sessions nears statistical significance (p-value, .083.)

Overall, Creativity and Social Competence improved for participants who attended nine or more CANY sessions. Study participants who attended between 9 and 11 CANY sessions had markedly better survey results than those members with less robust attendance.

For clients who had left the residential facility by the third survey administration, there were statistically significant improvements in all 4 scales between Time 1 and Time 2 and between Treatment and Control groups.

EVALUATOR CONCLUSION
The CANY Intervention is a potent and effective treatment in a relatively short time frame, with a certain type of client. These findings indicated that dosage (the amount of sessions that comprise the service) plays a very important role in optimizing the impact of a CANY intervention. Those study participants who attended more CANY sessions had markedly better survey results than those members with less robust attendance.

For a complete summary analysis Click Here